Pets require care and that includes making sure that they are in perfect health. This involves regular visits to the local vet and ensuring that they get their various pet meds on time. As always, pets are not that eager to consume their pet meds for obvious reasons so you need to make sure that you hide the medication in their food. But here are a few tips regarding their storage and disposal.
- Store safely away from kids and pets: This is important as the concerned medicines can be highly dangerous to both kids and pets alike. It is vital that you do not store the various pet meds on a low shelf as that can put them within easy reach of both kids as well as pets. Make sure that all your pet medication is neatly categorized and safely stored away in a locked cabinet.
- Do not give your pet any OTC (over-the-counter) medications: If your pet is sick, then a visit to the vet is mandatory. Depending on OTC medications to act as a palliative is a mistake and it very rarely helps to cure your pet.
- Store them separately: Your pet meds may look a lot like the medication that you take. That’s why you need to store your pet meds separately to make sure that you do not take their medication by mistake. Remember to allocate some space in a cupboard for their medication since exposing them to direct sunlight for prolonged periods can reduce the efficacy of the same.
- Do not reuse the medication for another pet: If you have more than one pet, reusing the same pet meds for another pet may cause it to develop some serious side effects. Remember that the medication had been prescribed after taking into account the pet’s symptoms and characteristics, its size, constitution, etc. So using the same medication to try to cure another pet is a mistake.
- Disposing of the meds: The one thing that most pet owners do is to try and dispose of the leftover meds by pouring it down the toilet. That’s a mistake; these medicines are often recalled by the manufacturing company and there is usually an event which is organized for the safe collection of all unused pet meds. It is important that you avail the same since pouring them down the sewage or any other body of water soon affects the water table with predictable results. So make sure that you take adequate care when disposing of your pet meds.
These are some of the tips that you need to review when it comes to the safe storage and disposal of your various pet meds. Just remember that pets can also get easily overdosed and it is up to you to dispose of all the various meds safely if you no longer have any need for the same.