Nausea is a symptom that causes discomfort in the abdomen region and is frequently accompanied by vomiting. Nausea is caused by a number of conditions and disorders. Simple natural remedies that can be tried at home have been found to be effective and have been recognized by doctors. Here are a few:
- The smell in the environment tends to influence emotions and behavior. Aromatherapy makes use of smells like lavender, lemon, and other smells to help reduce stress and anxiety. It has been found that patients who have undergone surgery have reduced nausea when they were asked to smell a blend of oils such as ginger, spearmint, and cardamom. Aromatic oils can be used by adding a few drops on a tissue and smelling it or adding a few drops of oil in a diffuser.
- Peppermint leaves and oil can be used to reduce nausea symptoms. The oil helps soothe the stomach muscles and helps bile to break down fats. Peppermint tea is the most popular way to take care of nausea.
- Ginger has long been known to have therapeutic qualities and has been used to cure nausea, stomach aches, and diarrhea. Ginger can be added to food, to tea as a drink, or it can be eaten in candied form.
- Acupressure and acupuncture are popular practices. Both techniques stimulate certain nerves. Acupressure is the application of pressure on certain points on the body with hands, while acupuncture uses fine, sharp needles that are poked into the skin at specific points. These are ancient practices and it is still not clearly known how these techniques work.
- Smelling a lemon that is sliced or has its skin scratched enables a person to inhale the smell. Both lemon and almond essential oils have been found to reduce or eliminate nausea.
- Vitamin B6 supplement is being prescribed as an alternative treatment for pregnant women who are averse to taking anti-nausea medications.
- Certain spices such as cumin extract, cinnamon, and fennel powder, among others, have been used to reduce nausea, abdominal pain, constipation, and diarrhea.
- Breathing exercises can also be used. There are many breathing techniques that regulate and slow down breathing, which help reduces nausea.
- Muscle relaxation is a technique that has known to effectively reduce nausea. One method is to have a patient tense and relax muscles in sequence. Another method is to use massage as a way to relax the muscles. Both methods have a positive effect on reducing nausea. Chemotherapy patients have received massages on their arms and legs and experienced a reduction in nausea.
Other lifestyles and behavior changes that can have a positive effect on nausea are:
- A reduction in meal size or avoiding large meals
- Adding protein to meals
- Avoiding spicy and fatty foods
- Sitting upright while eating
- Drinking lots of fluid to avoid getting dehydrated
- Avoiding drinking during meals
- Avoiding strong smells
- Exercising regularly
These natural remedies may work for simple nausea that indicates simple issues with the stomach and digestive system. If nausea persists, the cause may be serious, and it would be a good time to see a doctor.