An automobile is a utility that transports people from one place to another. An automobile is considered luxurious when a number of factors are enhanced. However, there will be trade-offs, and some pertinent factors will be compromised. Some of these factors are:
- Performance and fuel economy: The main component in an automobile is its engine. Luxury autos are fitted with engines that are very powerful. The standard measure of power is the time an automobile takes to accelerate from 0 to 100 miles per hour. The direct trade-off of very powerful engines is poor fuel economy. Some luxury cars will weigh considerably more than others in the same class.
- Drivetrain: The drivetrain in an automobile carries the engine’s power to its wheels. In a standard automobile, only two of the four wheels will be driven by the engine. In a number of luxury autos, the power from the engine is carried to all four wheels. This enables the automobile to transfer more power to the wheels at a given time. This allows the automobile to carry heavier loads in hilly terrains. This feature also helps with increasing the traction where there is wet mud, sand or snow, adversely affecting fuel economy.
- Safety features: Enhanced safety features include front- and rear-collision warning, front and rear cross-traffic alert, 360-degree cameras, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure warning and mitigation, night-vision assistance, and sleepy-driver warning systems.
- Cabin space: The interiors of luxury autos tend to be roomier than economy autos. Luxury autos are built larger than economy models for the same seating capacity. This allows for more head, shoulder, and leg room, thereby increasing the comfort level in the vehicle.
- Other features: There are a number of features that enhance the comforts and utility of a luxury auto. Some of them are heated seats (for cold climates), sunroofs, branded, high-fidelity sound systems, cup-holders that can be heated and cooled, multi-contour seats with genuine multi-toned leather upholstery, cruise control, heads-up display, parallel-parking assist, adjustable air suspension, automatic lane-change assistance, traffic jam assistance, automatic climate control, and many more.
Prices of luxury autos range from $20,000 to over a million dollars for a few ultra-luxurious models. The best possible price range is between $40,000 and $60,000. This range provides the best value for the price paid. Automobiles in the luxury segment have more than what meets the eye or what is in the specification sheet. Certain intangible aspects of luxury autos include superior design and build quality, engineering sophistication, extraordinary performance and handling, ride and driving comfort, and the finesse in putting it all together.
A number of brands across the country and Europe have assembled some great models. A good number of these models are bought as status symbols. Some of these brands have garnered enough attention over the years for excellence. A few automobile manufacturers have built luxury autos that have gold plating, diamond studded exteriors and interiors, and other such fancy embellishments. These models are affordable to a very few and are so rare and unique that they uplift the status of the owner.